I have interviewed and hired hundreds of team members. Once they have been hired, getting team members to a point where they feel comfortable and productive takes time and effort. I’ve found a few crucial things to do that can make the onboarding process easier on you, your company and even the new team member.
As soon as possible, for your next hire:
- have a process
- have a plan
- share the plan
- have expectations
- share the expectations
- find ways make day-one less overwhelming
- don’t give hires a huge manual and/or expect them to read it
- provide concise information tools to learn from
- as planned, follow up on the new hire's progress
- keep hires accountable to the set expectations
- stick to the your plan
- stick to the your process
- keep yourself accountable too
How about an a few steps to complete your own?